Bea Gold, Coordinator
Details of [Baren Exchange #27]
- Medium: moku-hanga (traditional Japanese woodblock print, hand rubbed with baren, aqueous pigments, paper).
- Theme: all-hanga "mythical beasts"
- Image size: no restriction
- Paper size: Shikishiban, 8x9 inches (20 x 23cm)
- Paper type: no restriction
- Registration period: One month starting October 1 , 2005
- Delivery deadline for finished prints: February 1, 2006
Exchange manager's comment:
Exchange #27, "Mythical Beasts" is an exchange consisting entirely of moku-hanga (traditional Japanese woodblock prints) and what an interesting exchange it turned out to be with some truly over-the-top examples from several unusually skilled artist/printmakers! Take a long(ing) look at what seem to me to be outstanding prints by Tom Kristensen, Sharri LaPierre, Lynita Shimizu, and Jean Eger Womack, all showing typical moku-hanga style and advanced technique.
While many of the prints look directly to Asian themes, a handful of designs are thoroughly steeped in 'today' while still making excellent use of centuries-old Japanese technique including the prints by Jebah Baum, Jason Engelhardt, Sarah Hauser, Tom Kristensen, and Sharri LaPierre.
All submissions to this exchange were pretty terrific and very much appreciated! Great work, everyone, and congratulations!
Baren Exchange Manager